Tuesday, September 07, 2004

School's out for WINTER!

ok, that's totally a lame rip off of a song... but kinda true. To make official to all not quite positive, the irishman will not be attending U of C this semester. I'm cool working for a bit while I hit up school through Athabasca taking a course load independant style. I'm actually pretty pumped about it. There's some really interesting classes I can do with solid reading for global economics and I'm taking a class soley on WW2... which is awesome, cuz that's a little bit of a hobby of mine to read up on war stories and campaigns... should be sweet. Flexible deadlines and stuff is cool too.

I've kinda rethought my priorities recently. It isn't about avoiding school, or "responsibility", but doing what I want to do, which I haven't done in awhile (read: grade 12). Basically, I'm saying to all fuck it, I'm gonna do my own thing. Which, really is only a mental thing more than anything else on reflection. I'm still working, studying, and doing my church shit. Weird how sometimes perspective and shit can make a difference. Weird that a church guy swears like a mother fucker... I guess its an irish thing...how weird! Anywho... I'm gonna enjoy this change of pace and spend more time (yes I know... more!) time working with the youth through my church. Not just volunteering, but getting into the organizing, running things myself. There really is some good leadership opportunities there, and it is fun and rewarding at the same time. Considering I'm basically sold on teaching or something youth orientated as a career, I'm in no rush to finish school as long as I'm active in this regard.

My sister (Eileen in Denver who's living with a Peruvian Order) wants me to go on a mission (ie. build a school) down in Peru like she did... sounds kinda cool, but I'm not totally sold on that. I'm interested in going abroad in the near future (read: get the hell out of dodge as soon as possible). Not because I don't like it here, but when I was away this summer and last in Scotland, I felt more in touch and less distracted with life. Claratin... I mean clarity! I know I'll be going to Germany next summer for WYD and spending some time in Europe before or afterwards, but I really want to do something before then. Any suggestions? We'll see... still thinking on that note...

Well, Canada is kicking ass, this has me happy, and is keeping me distracted from realizing that we may not have hockey in a week or two... sniff sniff... oh well, enjoy while it lasts I guess...

So to the folk at school, let me know your general schedules and more specific breaks or days off so I know when to drop by the couches and visit. I'll probably go up there to do some work once my classes start...

To the people that know who you are, phone me, we will do coffee, lunch, pool and bbq, shots, or beers depending on who you are. Sorry about not getting the bbq done today, I was stuck doing yardwork and basically was in a lazy ass mood not wanting to do anything today with any of you considering I was just off of working 7 day/nights in a row. Perhaps tomorrow, or saturday considering I have the night off... two weeks in a row! Anywho, holla! That just sounds stupid coming from a sophisticated person such as myself... but I'm too lazy to delete it...

music, books, tv, etc...
reading a bit of everything, haven't finished life of pi yet, I stop reading it last month... too fluffy for my mood right now... still really good. Reading vanishing man by guy who wrote bone collector... solid, but still early on. Also reading about Paris meetings of 1919... and I finished it awhile ago but never mentioned Memnoch the Devil by ann rice... not huge into the vampire stories of hers, entertaining, but this one is cooler than the rest. Solid idea... screwed up, but cool.

I've listened to jet a little too much in the last coupla days for my liking... its kinda bizarre... I just went on a jet binge... an awesome binge is The Postal Service... Nothing Better is a personal fav... I also been getting into more of Jack Johnson and some of his collaborations with Ben Harper in particular... I really dig that stuff...

Anywho, I'm still pissed I'm not going to that Austin City Limits Music Festival with my bro... oh well, he'll hafta pay for a weekend of my drinking later... ie. going out drinking at christmastime together along with derek when the sisters shop all day. good times.

Its tired and I'm late... so hello goobye,

-CIG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home