Wednesday, February 09, 2005

It has come to my attention....

That today is the eve of a somewhat, but not reary, important anniversary for me. What is that? It is none other than the second time in my life where I'm proud to say I'm celebrating my age which being a repeated digit. 22. Ah, 11 years is quite a ways. Jr. High is long gone, so is high school, and in many ways, university as well. So how am I celebrating it? I don't know... to be frank... I actually don't really care. Let me explain.

Birthday Smirthday

I just don't see them being that big of a deal. Sure its cool, you feel a little special, get a few cards and the like. But really, are you any different than you were the day before? I don't think so. I guess ages like 16, 18, and 21 are somewhat more important due to the increased freedom and rights we're given then. As an aside, its been a year and I still haven't gone to Vegas! Problem... not really, I don't really want to go, its more the principle of it I guess. As I was saying, bday's don't strike me as totally awesome. They're your better than average day by a fair amount, but nothing ridiculously awesome that can never be matched. To be fair, some of the more forgettable moments of my life have occured on my birthday (such as laura driving over my foot = funny now, but not very cool). I guess my feeling towards partying on new years being a bit over the top can apply here as well. Whatever.

Nothing like the present...

So I never really organized anything to celebrate my birthday. No biggie. I'm banking my money for March Madness. Super bowl was last weekend too. But, if people want to do something in the next week or so, just give a shout out. I really don't care either way. To be fair, its worse when you organize huge parties at shanks north or something and no on shows up. So, I figure I might as well save the embarassment of knowing I have no friends and just CRY!... lol. Just kidding. Moreover, I'm fairly broke when I look long term this year for WYD and perhaps even may and Peru with my sister. So, wasting money is kinda not high on my priority list. But whatever, those who know me know a beer or two isn't considered waste in my books... lol. The point is, I'm sure the same scenario is there for some if not all of you in some way. So really, I don't care and don't expect anything. To a certain extent, I'd almost beg people to not throw parties and give presents to each other throughout the year. Its only my opinion. But from my perspective, I see it as kinda useless. Kinda with my christmas present philosophy. Again, if you are the type that feels good or needs to give stuff than go nuts, that's very nice. I guess I just see it as if you are tight with your friends and family, the greatest gift you got is eachother. Not to get mushy, but its true. What's the point of going through with traditions when people get the meaning with or without the action, simply to carry on the tradition? For kids and stuff its different, but I feel I don't need to get a present from my brother to know he's always there for me. Its just useless materialism. But don't take it the wrong way. If you feel good in giving that's awesome, but just don't feel obliged to because its just what we do. I'm only saying this now as my bday made me think of this, but It really is more of a perspective thing. How many times do we waste energy and stress ourselves out for a present that we know won't get used, or is returned or broken, forcing someone else to return the "favour". I don't know about you, I gave a few presents out this year and it was cool, but the best thing about christmas was just chilling with the family. No running around, no wrapping craziness. Just relaxing. It was nice. I guess I'm just trying to share what I've learned. So if you got me a present, thanks a bunch, if not, that's totally cool too. It saves you money and time, and I don't have to freak out about getting you one! lol... its really a great system. Kinda like the one where me and ryan simply kept the presents we bought for each other back in the day. I guess its just one step further. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this sentiment, I'm just voicing it out there.

Ping Pong Playing Retards...

Man Adam, that was pretty funny on Sunday. I'm really bad at Halo 2. I mean, really bad. But I did manage to do somewhat ok in my limited time with a sniper rifle. Which is cool. And to add to what I said above, stuff like this (getting horribly embarassed by lack of gaming skills), was almost more fun than any cd, gift certificate, or night on the town could provide. And to boot... it was basically a cost free night besides the food and beer we all shared (Thank God The No Lionels Club has no cover!). Ok, not totally free, but cheeper than other stuff. Anywho, big game tonight between my blue devils and UNC. Could be an early elite eight game or something. And I gotta eat and do other stuff. So take it easy, and find some time to relax!

-I got digits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home