Sunday, January 16, 2005

The Return Of Link(s)

Yes, I'm happy to announce I got off my lazy bum and did something about the lack of blog links. Well. There you have them. I hope you now can forgive me.

Scantily clad women and men wearing overly large bowties
The golden globes were on... I didn't watch them... Hooray for that... But I saw a glimpse of Robin Williams acceptance speech (I guess he got a lifetime achievement or whatever), and he was crazy funny and quite poetic. His send off to Christopher Reeves was classy from a classy guy to another one. That's all I got to say about that...

Room 101
Reread 1984 recently before lending it out to coworker who needs to be enlightened. Had the nerve to tell me Orwell's short stories were good and hadn't heard of 1984 or Animal Farm. I was shocked, and some might say awed. However, not like Saddam, I didn't flee to a fucking hole in a field. I love this book. It is awesome. The idea of room 101 and what it presents is pure genius. So simple. I don't believe. If you don't know what it is, read the book. Then I'll discuss.

Life of Pi
I've been reading this book for 6 months, and I love it... But it is taking me 6 months to read! I'm almost done, but it is like I know I've read the best part, I basically know how it ends, so I can't bother to finish it. This is weird for me. Usually if I like a book so much, I'll just gun through it from start to finish. Its kinda like therapy. A little Pi everyday, makes the doctor go away? I don't know... But the simple lines of Pi's thinking are really words of wisdom when you break them down. I really like this book. Uplifting, and doesn't make you fret and stress about life and all the fraction we have in society. It gives a nice perspective on how we are all whole and important. Call it the warm fuzzy book.

I'm Going to Hell
I just noticed I wrote that last paragraph to Highway to Hell by AC/DC. Am I the only one that finds that quite amusing. Moving on...

Macworld thoughts...
Tay, I basically agree with all Jon said. It isn't that you're wrong, it is just that Apple isn't releasing these products for you, but for those not yet converted, or on the fence... kinda like me. The ipod shuffle is just the next logical step in a genius marketing campaign by apple. I love watching this company not so much from a tech standpoint, but a business standpoint. These guys have really gotten their stuff in gear and running the ship well. Almost a model business to study in marketing with what they are doing. I think Tay's point of absurdity that less features is a selling point is exactly how successful they are. They can run with one, two ideas and sell it. Not just mediocrel well, but outstandingly well. I personally think the shuffle is kinda gay, but I'd see the use for me (sports - less intrusive than a ipod or mini for active sports - i.e.. shooting hoops). The Mac mini is a cool design and although not totally cheap if you (like me) don't have that extra monitor and keyboard to hook up, it is just another fun product out there. The idea that perplexes me is the idea of having a dockable computer per se. Who needs a laptop? The pure size is mind blowing. I'm very impressed they engineered something so small. Not surprised, just impressed.

Some Glorious Waves For Ya...
I know you all don't love them as much as I do, but U2 rocks the socks. So instead of beating the same old drum about the new album, I'm gonna promote something old school - which in many ways was their primetime. Under a Blood Red Sky is a wicked live album, and all should listen too. My favourite old song of recent times is Gloria. Gotta plug buddy Jesus when possible, :P Its just a good get ya going song... kinda like bloody sunday... but less violent. Out of Control is my other offering of the day.

In other news
I think Adam felt slighted that I mentioned in the year in review concerning the March Madness pool that I hated Jon, when actually Adam won this year. To clarify, I still hate Jon that pick stealing bum, and Adam simply has been added to that list. You are only removed when I beat you all mercessly into the group this year. Beware, I've actually been doing stat checks this year and matchup reviews. Bow down now, and I'll spare you. I shall have no mercy. Redemption is inevitable! INEVITABLE! THINGS ARE INEVITABLY GOING TO CHANGE! EVEN HANS BLIX CAN'T STOP ME NOW!!!! MUhahahahahah... ahem.... Sorry, moving on...

J-E-T-S! JETS! JETS! JETS!.... oh wait... booourns...
The Jets lost... again. They haven't won back to back playoff games since 1983 I think. Give or take a decade. I blame the obvious. Brien is horrible. Murphy's Law came back to screw us. We got the kick off the upright last week, so we didn't get it this week. I'm quite angry, but at least we showed up not like the colts. Man, they are such pansies. They should train in the artic or something if they ever wanted to win the big one.

Well... That's it for now. Signing off, I'm Mloc Enyel. Goodnight, and thanks for reading!

-CIG

4 Comments:

At 12:08 a.m., Blogger jon said...

Dear Colm: You WILL lose in the March Madness pool this year, face it. Actually, I suggest you make up a bracket right now, tear it up into little pieces, and then give $5 to both Adam and I. That way, you cover your bases seeing how obviously the winner will either be him or me.

Ha ha, and the Jets suck. And, by the way, the Jets 'showed up'? I wasn't aware that when an offense's grand achievement in a game is a field goal, it's considered 'showing up'. BOOYAH! Go Eagles!

 
At 12:18 a.m., Blogger The Irishman said...

well, when you only average 13 points a game or some ridiculous low number its not as bad as a team that usually goes into the 40's putting up 3. The Jets fought hard. They were up againest a superior team and almost pulled it out. To put it in perspective, its not like Pittsburg's offense did much better. Big Ben's worst two games this season were both against the Jets D. Better than nothing. The fact is, shitty production or not, a shitty kicker is what stopped us from winning that game. Not poor red zone execution. And come playoffs, it is about D and Special Teams. And they had 2/3 and still lost. Can't do much more than that. Oh well. And I think Atlanta might beat the Eagles. The Vikings were lucky to get past Green Bay (their d was banged up and horrible), so Eagles haven't faced that tough of an opposition. I would just like to see the Eagles lose 3 times in a row in the conference finals (at home to boot). That'd be funny. But as a betting man, I'd take the Eagles...

 
At 12:24 a.m., Blogger jon said...

Yeah, I definitely agree with you on the Steelers, because it's not like they played that well either. As for the Atlanta-Eagles, I think it will definitely be an interesting game (and definitely more interesting than the NE-Pitts game, I think). Besides, Michael Vick is a pretty entertaining quarterback to watch, and I think it will be one heck of a show come Saturday.

 
At 2:22 p.m., Blogger Cara-bellum said...

Um... I ... like.. sports? They're..., liek, pro.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home