Saturday, February 19, 2005

Colm's Weekly Soapbox Message

What's up all?

This is almost becoming routine... I'm getting nervous. Ok, on to news.

HOCKEY!

WTF Mate! What is going on? First early last week it seems they'll get a deal done, then they turn to letters to communicate and won't budge on their offers even though it was widely reported there was room to negotiate. Stubborn people screw hockey and season is cancelled. Then its like a bad hangover. Iggy and friends wake up beside that modestly hot girl, but this time, she doesn't stay through the hard times and is willing to mess around with other guys. So of course they freak out and now are trying to uncancel the season. That's nuts. And of course all our hopes are up because we see Gretz and Super Mario are at the meeting and reports a deal is done. Now I see on TSN.ca that the "situation wasn't good". Screw TSN! Screw Big Headed Bob McKenzie. TSN is so bleak all the time. I prefer the score and their unsubstantiated reports. Rumors are better than truth... well, not really. But I hate TSN's there's a chance... no chance... there's a chance. Just say there's always a chance for the eternal optimist like myself. I WANT HOCKEY! Whatever... either get a deal done for next year or this year... I'm just sick of the labour talk one way or another. Yeesh.

The Punk-year olds are correlated to Pay Day!

In a stunning discovery, I've determined that the now named punk-year olds come out every two weeks or so. Which just happens to correlate with everyone's payday! But this time Steve's brother Mike was there and there were no problems. We pointed out the guys who caused fights and he quickly found em and told them in a matter of speaking to get the heck out. It was funny Chris, the owner, was there because we have two brothers putting on a concert upstairs this weekend, and he was right in the middle of it. This one lebanese kid who is a trouble maker when he was kicked out spat on chris. Very Bad Move! Chris lost it and kicked the guy and threw him out the door. I'm not in love with my boss, but I laughed so hard and gavce congrats to him. That was awesome. Not the smartest kid in the world to spit on an owner. But once the three or four punks left it was fine. I rang out 400 dollars in like 2 hours on the bar, which is kinda nuts, because its all drinks, all cash and carry. I was a little slammed. But prostar me handled it quite well I think. Hopefully it'll be hopping tonight too. I like controlled chaos.

In other bar related news. my new favourite afterwork drink is strongbow with a dash of chambord. If you don't know what chambord is, your missing some of the best tasting liquer in the world. Awesome stuff.

The Grammy's

I'm not sure what Tay's rant was going to be about. But I can guess it was destroying maintsteam media and although I'm a fan of the beatles, that horribly out of tune rendition of Across the Universe by Bono and friends. I know it was for a good cause... but man, that sucked the big one. I think its being bought out of pity. I actually thought the grammy's were much better this year then in years past. But still a lot of crap. Kanye West is awesome, and anyone who raps about Jesus is cool in my books. His line of "everyone kept asking me what I'd do if I didn't win... I guess we'll never know"... classic. On top u2 went 3 for 3 so that's cool. Sucks, their tour may be delayed and not come to canada for awhile because it seems Edge's daughter has leukemia. That's sad to hear. Not just for my sake, but the little girls. Children shoulder have to suffer like that. Especially when we see us wasting millions on filth and useless entertainment when we could be giving generously to charities and foundations to cure aids, cancer.... mind boggling... but I guess people don't see the world like I do... I guess I'll just hafta make them understand.

Music...

Hmmm.... a few random songs that come to mind is From Now On by Ron Sexsmith and since I already mentioned him listen to Kanye West's Jesus Walks. I'm pretty sure anyone that reads this probably has his album or has heard it. But I'm telling you to listen to it. He may swear, might not be your style... but I feel we don't listen enough in life. Millions of people are saying things that are important and want to change the world, but everybody is listening to the wrong people or not hearing the real message. God works in mysterious ways. There is the ability to see good in everything, even music. Even the beatles Tay, I swear it :P I guess I just get frustrated sometimes to see all the good intentions fall by the wayside because people are too busy filling their lives with useless things and searching out instant gratification. I'm one of those people too quite a lot more than I wish. I'm convinced that there is a Devil, and that he guns for and tries to frustrate and stop those with the best potential. Those that can create the most good, can also do the most harm. I'm not trying to sound like TV Sunday Baptist sermon, but we can do so much good and something with our lives. Why waste our time with shit. Do something. Step up to the plate.

Just another plastic soldier melting on the lampshad...

Sure, people will counter to me... Colm, you're the fucking bartender! You're the guy with the brains who basically kinda dropped out of university just cuz you didn't like it. You're the one who talks and talks and what? You're the pussy, not me! What good have you done for the world?

To that I say, you're right. I'm 22. I'm a lazy ass bastard. I don't have my lisence because I'm basically too lazy to get it and find it not that big of a deal to bus it around town. I've jerked around in school because I felt like it. I bartend and serve alcohol to people for a living. I'm all talk. I impress people with words and a flashy smile, and never follow it with action. I'm an image, a facade. Whenever I needed to step up to the plate, I usually pop out on a sacrifice bunt and don't advance the runner. Good for nothing. I've let relationships I cherished crumble because I simply didn't hold up my end of the bargain and be the bestfriend or brother or son I should and am capable of being. I never chased and fought for who and what I needed to fight for. I'm open to the fact that I'm lost potential. I'm Alexander Daigle. I'm Eric Lindros. The next big burnout. The Great Dude. Congratufuckinglations Colm! Here's a pathetic biscuit! Hip Hip Hooray!

But at least I admit it....

The Flip Side

I'm not perfect. But I'm pretty good. Its a starting point, not an ending. Hard to believe after that falling on the sword rant... but its true. I'm not being cocky. This isn't a self assesment. I'm proving a point. As much as I don't do certain things well, there is good in me. God put it me. And hopefully, I've help it grow. Maybe, other people notice it too. I help out with Ryan at church, not to the extent he does... (it is his job), but I think enough over the years to say I've probably changed people's lives... probably for the better but I can't be too certain. You'd hafta ask them yourselves. I've also changed my life by helping others. I've grown. Ok, maybe not in muscle, but in mind and spirit. That I think is worth something. I'd consider myself an educated man, maybe not to the extent in textbook smarts as steph, cara and others, but fairly well. You name a subject, I probably know something about it. I think that is worthwhile.

I don't have tons of materials or money or accolades. But I've seen a chunk of the world for my age and ability. I've seen and appreciated different cultures, people, and scenery. I'm going to Germany to expand on that. I'm going to Mejugore to see miracles in action. Probably one of the holiest places on earth right now. Something great is starting there. They say people don't go to Mejugore by accident... I don't think my mom went by accident and inspired our family. I don't think I'm going by fluke.

Sure I'm a bartender. But all I do is interact with people. I talk to them, but more important listen. Give guidance, chat about subjects, and often, probably plant something good in each person, no matter how small. I enjoy what I do right here and now. Not what I did yesterday, or what I'll do tomorrow, but what I'm doing right now. I'm enjoying the moment. This instant. This post. The feeling of the keys being pushed by my fingers spelling this sentance.

I'm enjoying life. Is that so terribly wrong in today's society?

Fuck. It is so freaking simple, but so many of us don't get it, or forget it. You know who knows it... kids. They haven't been poisoned with worries. They don't know better. Has the moment been lost. Why do we act ashamed when we secretly smile on the bus or at work at an inside joke or thought. Next time, laugh out loud. Next time you type lol, do it. Why worry what other people think of us. The only person we need to impress is God. Not even oursevles. It will just happen. I guess the point of this is that don't get down on what is wrong with you... I'd be a depressed dude if I did. It isn't an option for me. You just plug along. I'm not going to ignore the issues. You gotta try to do something about it. But don't lose faith. Baby steps. It worked for Bob. I'm not perfect, I'm not near where I want to be... but I'm working on it. At the end of the day, I don't think God will strike me down for trying.

Just something to think about. Just something to live out. Just something to know.

-CIG


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home