Colm's Weekly Soapbox Message
You better believe it, still going strong...A Mellowed Post
Fear not, today is a mellow day. A few things to be discussed, mostly sports as we are heading into the month of march, which is very exciting. Hopefully some other random tibits will come up, but I won't gurantee anything... so lets begin.
MARCH MADNESS IS ALMOST HERE!
This is truly great news. So, the invites have begun... informally... to join my infamous March Madness pool. As of yet no set entry fee has been agreed upon, but the veterans and die hards such as myself and Adam would go for a higher figure possibly 20?!?. I know this may strike the fear of God into others, so I'm thinking others can join for 5 or 10, and the winnings simply be adjusted or something. Or, I can split the pool up into divisions, or we can just come to a common agreement. Finally, if you are cheep (and most likely british :P) you can still fill out a bracket to follow along for fun, and only have bragging rights. But as many know, bragging rights are almost worth more than the pot. Considering the pot usually pays for our drinking over these weekends, its basically a moot prize. Nonetheless my pick of the year is george washington over anybody. You heard me... anybody.
St. Paddy's
I don't know where, I don't know when (besides the day!), but something will happen, and it will be AWESOME! So, book it off if you haven't and get ready for some good times. I used all my favours for it off and this jr. high retreat I'm gonna help at, so I might hafta work all the march madness weekends... but I got TV's there, so its a fair trade off. Hopefully, I can swing my way out of a night or too... we'll see...
Musical Genious
Phil makes a good point Tay. But... I have a hard time as well saying all musical genious is dead... merely transformed. I don't think Bach could do the things that Jimi Hendrix could do with a guitar. Some of the sounds and riffs that he created were so amazing and completely new... he basically single handily changed a music industry. I think that's pretty important. Not to say Bach isn't, but there have been genious' from every generation for every sort of thing imaginable. Sometimes a genious from hundreds of years ago is proved wrong later for things he/she proposed or believed. Does that make him/her any less of a genious? I don't think so. You have to put the accomplishments and person in context to when they lived and their society. Was what they were creating above and beyond what anyone else was doing at that time? Is one so far ahead of their peers to be at a completely different level? These are the criteria I think we need to judge people at be it music, philosophy, etc. Eric Clapton was years ahead of his peers when he started off, same with some of the sounds the Beatles produced. I guess as Tay touched upon, genious is in the eye of the beholder. How we define and rate accomplishments varies from one person, one society, one generation to another. And that's my take on that I guess.
Oscars.
Supposedly men are gay if we watch the Academy Awards. So says the host Chris Rock. I thought that was funny. Yes they're political, yes they're repetitive in rewarding the greats for their not great performances, but the oscars are like a bad car crash. You have to watch! And secondly, there's usually some good eye candy floating around. Lets not fool ourselves shall we? Personally, I hope finding neverland wins I loved it. Hotel Rwanda is supposed to be really good, but I've yet to catch it. In Short documentary there is a canadian for his short about his father who played for the harlem globtrotters, so I'll be hoping that one wins. Otherwise, I really don't care. Actors patting other actors on the back. Whoopdido. Personally, I want to see chris rock say something offensive to prove how retarded the show producers were for picking one of the most foul mouthed standups ever. Should be amusing to watch, I love Chris Rock.
Imagine...
I'm falling asleep to John Lennon I'm so tired. I better get off this and go for a run outside before work. Being tired before working is bad times. Stupid messed up inner clock. Falling asleep at the bar usually doesn't go over well. Ok, later.
-mloc
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home