Saturday, April 02, 2005

Colm's Weekly Soapbox Message

So, I really don't know what to say. I'm pretty bummed right now. The Pope was a great man, and a great inspiration to me and why I try to make a difference in the world. I figure I can't say it much better than this, so read it. Ryan covers most of what I need to say. Losing the Pope is a great loss, but it also brings us to a great crossroads. Now the Church has an opportunity to build on the teachings he gave us, and the path he has layed for the church in the years to come. I too heard the fact that his final message was to the youth, which is very empowering. If such a great man can see the need, the necessity to include the youth even in his death, it shows us how much power and affect the youth can have and do have. We are not only the church of tomorrow, but more importantly, TODAY. We must not forget that. Even through his death which is a time of sorrow, it provides comfort and that inspiration to do what I need to do. It provides conviction to those without it, and hopefully to those too scared to realize their calling, or act upon it. The fact that he refused much medication to ease the suffering tells me much. He died with the courage he lived his life. He never wavered, he never took the easy way out. It is very beautiful and proper that he passes on the eve of the feast of the divine mercy, a feast he created. It is well known how much he had an affinity to St. Faustina, who had many revelations from the Divine Mercy for us, and who was also polish. People may call it random coincidence, I call it fate. God is trying to tell us something. How does the man who spoke out for the sanctity of life pass away after one life was so brutally starved to death immediately before in a hospice. Tell me that isn't a sign. Tell men God isn't trying to tell us. Tell me I'm just a crazy irish guy. Tell me I'm nuts. Tell me this doesn't mean anything. Tell me this hasn't affected you in any way. Tell me I'm full of shit. Tell me I'm inconsiderate of others beliefs. Tell me I'm a bigot. Tell me this man was nothing but a traditionalist who cared nothing for modernity. Tell me he is out of touch with "today's society and morals". I'll tell you you're out of touch with today's morals. I'll tell you that you're a politically correct puppet who is too scared to do the right thing. I'll tell you that you need to smell the coffee and pony up and live your life with integrity and honesty. I'll tell you that you need to examine your goals and purpose in life. I'll tell you that we need to live life according to God's wish, not our own. Karol did. He was a great man, a great leader, a great inspiration, a holy man, a model for us to live by. I'd write more, but I'm late for work and I don't think I need to say anything else.

One last thing, thx mike for making me woodman. I'm not giving it up. I'm proud to be woodman, and he's the greatest boss of all time. That is all.

-CIG

3 Comments:

At 8:15 p.m., Blogger OmniTech said...

At least ONE person is happy!
Thanks man.

 
At 2:00 p.m., Blogger That Girl Up There said...

I don't know if I buy all the talk about "signs", but I'm not a religious person. I mean, if you look around, you can see "signs" in everything.

I'm actually relieved that the pope died. Not because he was a horrible person or that I'm anti-religion. Just that after all the poor little guy has been through, I'm glad he doesn't have to do that any more. It's hard enough being the leader of somethingas huge as the church when you're healthy, but to do it in the state he has been in lately must have been a labour of love. So I think it's good he has finally gone on. It was his time. It's sad, sure, but everyone knew it was coming. And now they get to have the cool secret vote and everything. It'll be interesting to see what direction the new pope takes the church in. Hopefully he won't be a nut. It has always seemed weird to me that the pope is always an old guy. I realize that it is necessary in some sense, because of wisdom and strength of character, and that the pope's in it for life. But it's like with politics too. Why are the old people running the show? It seems bizarre to me. Surely the young/middle aged are more, man, I dunno how to say this without offending someone, but "in touch" with current issues. I mean, the sign of a great leader is that they are "in touch", but it seems that it would be easier for younger people. Not that there will ever be a young pope. Though that would sure be interesting.

 
At 2:42 p.m., Blogger The Irishman said...

I had a long commment, so I'm just gonna paste it as a post instead.

-mloc

 

Post a Comment

<< Home