Tuesday, April 25, 2006

staying on pace...

To get a post in every two weeks or so... I mean every 2 months or so... haha (this is a compliation of old saved drafts, so some stuff is blatently old news)

Don't say I never did nothing for you all! Hmmm, what's been going on? Well, my birthday was quite the party, cuz ain't no party like an S Club party... I'd recount it, but everyone that needs to know the stories to make fun of me already does, so I think we can skip it. To sum up, I pledged to stay away from Tequila as I hate the stuff. Somehow along the way, I got into the JD and jamisons as shooters... baaaad times. Replacing the worst with the second worst. Man, that was quite the night. Definetely on the top ten memories of recent times. All I can say is like 4 shots in 10 seconds, never a moment without a rum and coke (thanks ryan, and kyle, screw you for getting me cheep rum! But... I guess I can't complain cuz I wasn't paying) and the spread weapon is always the most lethal. You KNOW! To all who weren't there... boourns to you! Ok, this is a real backchecking post, Draper style, as there's been a bunch of stuff going on that I realize I've never talked about. I'll try to cover these last few months in somewhat of an order, but don't bank on it.

Now, staying nice and chronological, I'm going to talk about stuff that happened in late January. I realize I never really talked about my time off in Regina for the WCACYM Annual Gathering and the good times that it entailed. Man, to start off, I'm angry I turned down an offer to go the last couple years. Tons of fun! Tons of fun loving people and got to reaquaint myself with some old school folk. It was cool, because although I was one of the newbies there, I felt right at home and had no problem fitting in and hanging out. I'll admit I was a tad concerned about what the whole thing was about and if I'd be down with it and the meeting and bureacratic feel I was getting beforehand. Dude, could I have been more wrong! Sure, there was "official business" to attend to, but with the people on the committee it was so fun and interesting! At least it was business and discussion about stuff I care about! The whole weekend opened my eyes a bit to YM and what it entails in the greater scheme of things. I guess I kinda casted off the "we just take kids bowling and sing kumbaya" stereotype we get and I often believed. Sure we do that stuff, but for the first time I truly came to get the idea of youth ministry being a "ministry" and a greater community. Which is nice, because I've come to see why YM's burnout every year or two. Knowing and having connections with others in the same field can ease the load and provide a good place for me to bail to for advice or encouragement when the going gets rough. I know as a newbie, its comforting to actually, personally, know and talk to others doing the same thing and facing the same challenges. And to those that think there isn't any in our business, you're waaay off track. I know especially it seems a few of my buddies in town have been bogged down by politcs and tough personalities and clashes of opinion and policy to the point of ridiculousness. I kinda feel bad because I've not faced that at all. I don't know if that's because I'm just naive and ignorant to stuff, or, my preferred thought, I'm just that good! haha, no... I'll admit we got a good deal going at St. Bonaventure with a supportive/laid back pastor and good volunteers... I tried telling others "I have issues!"... only to realize that a ban on water guns is about as bad as I got it... haha... I guess the point is I don't enjoy seeing good people get frustrated and angry at stuff they don't deserve, but it did serve as a good reminder to give thanks to what I got.

So, be thankful for what you got guys/gals. If that be friends, family, ipods, cars, a house, a good girl or guy to share your memories with, whatever. I just notice we blow away so much time. I personally think the greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, is get us to waste time. I mean, I'll admit I'm as lazy a person as you might find. Most of you can attest to this in some shape, manner or form. But lets take a recent example: yesterday. I got up around 1230. Nothing too ridiculous I guess right? I mean, I did my time during the week, I can sleep in a bit can't I? Well, with that rationalizing, I ignored the pile of paperwork I've got beside my bed including my Thinkfast package that I need to go through and rearrange to fit my weekend schedule for my retreat starting Friday, and promptly starting playing emulated SNES classic games. First up... FF5... sure, I've beaten it a ridiculous amount of times, but did that stop me? Nope nope nope... I blew about 3 hours trying to complete all the oddball side quests and leveling you can do and didn't even leave my room till like 4 PM. I mean, there's nothing inherently wrong with playing some games or laying low for a day. In many respects, I think a lot of us NEED to take time out to chill and slow things down. But, as you can see with me, we don't always put that chill time to use, or really NEED too. Work hard, play hard. I think sometimes we rationalize our work quite quickly to getting to the play part. Moving on...

I don't think I ever talked about this but... How bout them Olympics? We kick butt, and the hockey team of all teams blows chunks... I kinda felt it coming, but that was just sad. Well, now (presently April 25th) the Flames have to stop sucking and win and cook up some duck. I really think we can go far this year, but I also think we easily could get bounced. Anaheim is just a team that frightens me... especially when they outdo us at what we do best... hardwork! At least Iggy and Amonte are playing hard. Nice to see Mccarty get that game winner. For a good enough guy, seems like he's falling on some rough times. My other team the HABS are just cruising, so all is well. Kovalev is showing his worth as a big game performer like a few seasons ago in the playoffs. Hip Hip Huet!

March Madness... I don't think we did it for money, or glory, but just so I can brag... I WON! I WON! I WON!... hehe... even though the friend pool was like 6 people and my family was only 6/8 but still. The drought is over. So, my bro beat me in his friends pool, but I'll deal with it. This was an ugly year, no one got the winner right and barely had a final four team. That's what makes this thing such a beauty. Anywho, I'll end this one here and continue later this afternoon... I swear... ok
later all.

-mloc

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home